1.05.2011

New Year's Pantry Challenge: Cleaning out the Freezer, Day 3

Today's Menu:
Breakfast:
Granola
Hard-Boiled Eggs
Leftover Fried Rice
Fruit Smoothie

Lunch:
Pita sandwiches with Ground Beef-Cabbage-Onion mixture (aka leftover wonton filling from last night but don't tell my kids)
Almond Butter & Strawberry Jelly Sandwich (Ericlee made this to take to work.)
Oranges

Snack:
Apple slices
Banana-Oatmeal Power Cookies

Dinner:
Sole with Sherry Sauce
Garlic Mashed Potatoes
Collard Greens
Brussel Sprouts with Lemon Butter

Today's dinner was created out of what I dug out of the freezer and what we had on hand. We actually don't have too large of a freezer but it is easy to lose things way in the back after a while. Every so often I need to take inventory on what is in there and force myself to use it.

I made it a treasure hunt and I discovered I have a lot of different types of beans (that's where I store my beans), a bag of amaranth (suggestions welcome!), wheat berries, some frozen bags of basil from our garden, all the fixings for our homemade Peanut Butter Coconut Granola, frozen cranberries that we can use for smoothies. And then I happened upon the Sole fish. I had two packages that I got on sale a few weeks ago at Fresh & Easy. I like to buy off their sale shelves once in a while. What I can't use right away I freeze. We only buy "Wild Caught" fish because it's healthier than "farm-raised." I frequently use Salmon or Mahi Mahi sold at Trader Joe's. Mind you I don't have any "regular" recipes for Sole so I decided I needed to experiment.

I also had a bag of collard greens and a bag of brussel sprouts passed on from another friend's pantry. These are two veggies I also do not have much experience. Time to dive in. I read through several fish recipes and perused several recipes on my favorite http://www.eatingwell.com/ for brussel sprouts. There had to be a way to make those things edible and appealing!

I decided to saute the Sole in butter because as Julia Child says, "With enough butter, anything is good." I also created a sauce by deglazing the pan with Sherry, which was also randomly in our pantry. The result was yummy and both my kids were fighting over the last pieces. The same sauce went over the sauteed brussel sprouts with a squeeze of fresh lemon. If I had walnuts, I would have made this recipe, but I didn't so I had to wing it.

My dad, who claims to hate brussel sprouts, asked for a second helping of the "delicious little cabbages." My hubby scarfed the collard greens, which were similarly sauteed in olive oil and chopped fresh garlic.

What are your favorite ways to cook fish? What about collard greens? Brussel sprouts? I'm always open to suggestions, especially when that's what's in the pantry.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...