12.01.2009

Recipe of the Week: Split Pea & Chicken Sausage Soup

I'm the kid who hated peas when I was little. The mushy texture and green color just turned me off. But just because I hated them as a kid doesn't mean I have to hate them now. Our taste buds change multiple times throughout our lives so it's good to keep trying foods.

My friend Stacie made a batch of Split Pea Soup a few weeks ago for our Playgroup. She did it in the crockpot and it turned out fabulous. She threw in diced potatoes and some other fresh produce she had on hand. I couldn't stop eating that stuff! Yes, that's right, the pea-hating me was hogging all the Pea Soup. I decided it was time to do some experiementing on my own. The following recipe was the result. My daughter and hubby were fighting me for the last bowl.

I made this version on the stove top but you could try it in the crockpot if that's easier for you. I just needed mine done in a hurry. Do you have a spin on Split Pea Soup? Please share in the comment section.

Split Pea & Chicken Sausage Soup

Ingredients:
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 red onion, chopped
2 stalks celery, chopped
3 garlic cloves, minced
1 teaspoon fresh ginger, minced
32 oz. cage-free, organic chicken broth
2 cups dried green split peas
32 oz. water
1 teaspoon cumin
1 teaspoon sea salt
1 teaspoon dried basil
1 12-oz. package chicken sausage, chopped into bite-sized pieces (I chose a Spicy Andouille Sausage from Trader Joe's but you can decide what variety suits your taste.)

Serves: 4-6

Directions:
1. Add olive oil to small pot/saucepan and turn to medium-high heat.
2. Saute onion, celery, garlic and ginger in olive oil until onions turn translucent and celery is softened.
3. Add chicken broth, split peas, cumin, basil, salt and water. Bring to a boil for 5 minutes.
4. Lower heat to simmer soup for 30 minutes until most of the liquid is gone. Meanwhile, saute chopped chicken sausage in a separate frying pan.
5. When soup is desired consistency (add water if too thick), stir in sausage. Serve.

4 comments:

VM Family said...

Dorina, I love this post! Pea Soup is a traditional Dutch dish. My sister and I grew up loathing it. Now, like you, I've learned I actually like it and make it regularly. My secret ingredient is a chopped apple. I'll have to make the switch to chicken sausage, as you suggest...so much healthier than the ham!

Dorina Gilmore said...

A Dutch dish, eh? Where's the Gouda cheese? I knew ham had to be involved. ;)

I'll have to try your secret ingredient!

megan said...

I've never had split pea soup before. I've always been a little afraid of it. your recipe looks good though..especially with the chicken sausage :)

Pam said...

Very nice blog you have and congrats on the foodie blogroll!

Enjoy!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...