Looking for a breakfast casserole with a healthy twist? Wanna wow mom for mother's day and serve a crowd at the same time? Take a field trip to your local farmer's market. Pick up some inexpensive, in-season veggies and create-your-own colorful casserole. This casserole is like a veggie quiche packed with protein but without all the trouble of making quiche crust.
-1 loaf of whole wheat bread, cubed (A whole grain baguette bread is best - something that's more crusty, not sandwich bread.)
-10 (cage-free organic) eggs -1 cup (raw) milk
-1 12-oz. package chicken sausage, chopped (We like Trader Joe's Mango Chicken Sausage)
-1 tablespoon olive oil
-3 cups assorted fresh vegetables, chopped (Use what's in season - zucchini, peppers, broccoli, tomatoes, etc.)
-1/2 cup onions, chopped (Yellow, white or even green onions work.)
-1/2 teaspoon salt
-1 teaspoon basil
-1 teaspoon garlic powder
-1 cup plain yogurt or organic sour cream
-1 cup organic cheddar cheese, shredded
1. Coat a 9-by-13-inch baking dish with olive oil cooking spray.
2. Cook sausage in a skillet over medium heat, crumbling with a fork, until browned. Transfer to a bowl.
3. Add oil, onion and vegetables to skillet; cook, stirring occasionally, until vegetables soften, about 5 minutes.
4. Add sausage and cook, stirring, until vegetables begin to brown, about 5 minutes more. Remove from heat and set aside.
5. Whisk eggs and milk in a large bowl until blended. Whisk in salt, basil and garlic powder.
6. Arrange bread in a single layer in prepared baking dish. Pour egg mixture over bread and top with reserved vegetables and sausage.
7. Add spoonfuls of yogurt or sour cream across top of casserole. Sprinkle with Cheddar cheese.
7. If making ahead, cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate.
8. Preheat oven to 350°F. Bake casserole, uncovered, until set and puffed, 40 to 50 minutes. Serve hot with salsa and sour cream.