2.29.2008

Recipe of the Week: Peach Dutch Baby


Ok, so I don't exactly pass as one of those tall, blond Dutch girls but I did attend Calvin College in Grand Rapids, Michigan. I think I was adopted into more than one Dutch family in my four years there. My friend, Jen Vander Meulen, first introduced me to this breakfast treat called a Dutch Baby. I modified the recipe to add some "healthy elements." I love the crispy outside and the chewy inside of this pancake. I used frozen organic peaches since peaches aren't in season in Fresno right now. I can't wait to try it out with fresh, succulant peaches this summer. This would work well with berries or apples sprinkled with 1 teaspoon of cinnamon as well.

Ingredients:
-1 tablespoon; 4 tablespoons butter
-1 lb. sliced peaches
-1/4 cup honey
-1/4 cup lemon juice
-1 cup spelt flour (or whole wheat pastry flour)
-1 cup raw milk
-3 tablespoons sucanat (or organic evaporated cane juice)
-1/4 teaspoon sea salt
-3 large cage-free eggs
-4 tablespoons organic butter, melted

-maple syrup (optional)

Directions:
1. Heat oven to 425 degrees.
2. Slice peaches. Mix with honey and lemon juice and saute in a pan in 1 tablespoon butter until warm. Set aside.
3. Meanwhile, whisk together flour, milk, sucanat, salt and eggs to form the Dutch baby batter.
4. In a quiche pan or a cast iron skillet, melt 4 tablespoons butter and spread along bottom.
5. Pour batter on top and bake until puffed and golden brown on top (approx. 20 minutes).
6. Spoon fruit onto the middle of the pastry and serve immediately in wedges. You can drizzle some maple syrup on top if you like and garnish with mint.


1 comment:

The VM Family said...

Hot diggity I got another one of your quizes right! Go kale!

And did a recipe from my lowly kitchen actually make it to your fancy, health blog??? I LOVE this idea for Dutch baby. We've always done strawberries, peaches are a nice change. Apppreciate the healthy additions too.

Love, Jen

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...