Ok, friends. There's probably nothing I like more during this season than the flavors of pumpkin and chocolate melded together in a yummy comfort food dessert. That's exactly why my daughter and I decided it was time to do some experimenting in the kitchen. I shared this recipe at our MOPS (Mothers of Preschoolers) meeting a few weeks ago. This is a perfect way to put day-old or hardened baguettes to good use. If you're looking for a snazzy dessert for your Harvest Party or even a decadent Fall Brunch idea, check this out!
Chocolate-Pumpkin Bread Pudding
-1-pound loaf whole wheat bread (or consider using leftover bagels, baguette, croissants or other whole grain breads)
-olive oil spray
-6 large eggs
-2 cups raw milk
-1 cup heavy cream
-2 cups pumpkin puree (15-oz. can organic pumpkin)
-1 tablespoon vanilla
-1/2 cup organic brown sugar or 1/3 cup honey
-1 teaspoon cinnamon
-1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
-1/2 teaspoon salt
-1 bag semi-sweet chocolate chips or grain sweetened chocolate chips
-1/4 cup maple syrup
1. Cut the bread into 1-inch chunks.
2. Spray a 2-quart oven-proof dish with olive oil spray. Add bread chunks to dish.
3. In a separate bowl, mix together eggs, milk, heavy cream, vanilla and pumpkin.
4. Stir in cinnamon, nutmeg and salt. Stir in chocolate chips
5. Pour mixture over the cubes of bread. Let sit 20 minutes to soak into bread.
6. Meanwhile, heat oven to 350 degrees. Bake for 1 hour or until knife inserted in center comes out clean.
7. Drizzle maple syrup on top & serve.