10.31.2008

Recipe of the Week: Squash & Corn Chowder




I was perusing some of my old Bon Appetit magazines the other day and I came across this recipe. I like to save my mags according to the seasons and return to them for ideas when new produce comes into our local farmer's market. This chowder recipe showcases butternut squash and corn so I thought I'd try it with a few of my own twists.

Adapted from Bon Appetit, October 2003 issue

Fall Squash & Corn Chowder

Ingredients:
10 slices turkey bacon, chopped
2 tablespoons organic butter
3 medium onions, chopped (I used 2 yelllow & 1 red)
2 chopped bell peppers (red, yellow or green work)
1/4 cup whole wheat pastry flour
9 cups chicken broth
4 cups 1/2-inch cubed, peeled, seeded butternut squash (You can use a whole squash measuring about 1 3/4 pounds or get the prepeeled, seeded & cubed packages of squash in the refrigerator section of Trader Joe's)
4 medium russet potatoes, peeled and cut into 1/2-inch cubes
1 1/2 tablespoons oregano (original recipe calls for thyme)
2 16-oz. bags frozen corn or 4 cups fresh corn kernels
1 cup whipping cream or plain yogurt
2 chicken breasts, boiled/heated in crockpot & cubed (or you can save time and buy a rotiserrie chicken & shred)
1 cup chopped green onions
1/2 cup cilantro, chopped
2 teaspoons salt
1 teaspoon pepper
Directions:
1. Cook bacon pieces in large pot until crisp. (If using regular bacon, pour out some of drippings.) Set aside.
2. Add butter to pot and melt.
3. Add onions and 1 of chopped bell peppers. Saute until onions and peppers are soft.
4. Add flour; stir 2 minutes.
5. Mix in broth, squash potatoes and oregano; bring to a boil.
6. Reduce heat to medium-low; simmer uncovered until veggies are tender (approx. 12 minutes).
7. Add corn, cream/plain yogurt, remaining bell peppers and simmer additional 10 minutes.
8. Add chicken, turkey bacon, green onions, 1/2 cup cilantro; Simmer 5 minutes.
9. Add salt & pepper.
10. Ladle chowder into bowls and garnish with extra green onions.

Serves 10-12

Side suggestions: Honey Cornbread Muffins

Here's another Fall squash recipe with that comfort food feel...
My friend Allison served this one at a recent dinner and it was a hit. Here's a great way to get your family to eat a hearty vegetarian meal. None of us missed the meat and you can substitute in whatever vegetables you have on hand.

2 comments:

The VM Family said...

Thanks for the tip about pre-cubed squash from Trader Joes. Unfortunately I usually avoid recipes with squash because I hate chopping the finger-scalding stuff off that pesky rind.

Jenn said...

Just made this recipe for the family. My husband usually doesn't go for squash but he REALLY liked this recipe! This was easy to make too which makes me love it even more. I thought using a whole squash might be hard but after cutting it in half lengthwise and scooping out the pulp I used a potato peeler to take the skin off...it worked nicely! I didn't have turkey bacon, so I actually just topped the chowder with cooked bacon bits and the chives.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...