10.18.2012

Baked Pumpkin Pie Oatmeal with Steel Cut Oats

It's autumn! My favorite part of this time of year is the excuse to dig up all my favorite pumpkin, butternut squash and other fall-flavored recipes. It's also time to stock up on some of my favorite spices like pumpkin pie spice, which is a homey mixture of cinnamon, ginger, lemon peel, nutmeg, cloves and cardamom. Think chai tea. I've had a few different versions of Baked Oatmeal and I have loved every one. I decided to put together my own version with a "pumpkin pie" twist and some wholesome ingredients. I love the texture of this because it can be sliced into squares or even scooped into muffin tins for a nice to-go breakfast that isn't a mess in the car. My kiddos gobbled this up. I have to make sure I plan a double batch next time!


Ingredients:
-2 cups pumpkin puree
-1 egg
-1 tablespoon ground flaxseed
-1/4 cup maple syrup or honey
-1 tablespoon pumpkin pie spice (a combination of cinnamon, ginger, lemon peel, nutmeg, cloves and cardamom - I used Trader Joe's brand.)
-1/2 teaspoon sea salt
-1 teaspoon baking powder
-1 teaspoon vanilla
-1 1/2 cups raw milk (could use almond milk, coconut milk or plain yogurt)
-2 1/2 cups steel cut oats (I used the Trader Joe's quick cook version because they are cut smaller and have a smoother texture.)
*raw honey or maple syrup to drizzle on top, optional


Directions:
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spray 8x8 pan/pyrex with olive oil.
2. Blend together all of the ingredients in a mixing bowl.
3. Pour into baking dish and cover with tin foil.
4. Cook 30 minutes. Remove tin foil. Cook remaining 15 minutes. Texture should be spongy & moist.
5. Drizzle with raw honey or maple syrup if you desire.





This is the original recipe that inspired me.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...